Friday, July 02, 2004

The First Post

2nd July 2004
What does a gambling Buddhist put in a post? Can there be such a thing as a gambling Buddhist. Am I a Buddhist? I attend a sangha here in rainy Belfast on Tuesdays and sometimes Sundays. At the zendo we sit in silence for 30 minutes then walk in silence for ten minutes then meditate again for 45 minutes.
On Fridays usually I gamble and lose quite a lot of money. Today I didn't lose. I actually made £14. Last week I lost £345.
As a Buddhist I see my gambling as 'grasping'. - chasing after an illusion that cannot ever bring real happiness. What it does bring is momentary gratification. Like any addiction it gives the illusion of power for a few moments before inevitably reality sinks in.
Throughout the lifetime of this blog I'll try to give an insight into the mind of a gambler albeit one who wishes he could lead an 'alternative' life.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

like tumbler and tipsy days hopefully we will remain in high spirits. well, good day

December 24, 2005 at 6:59 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home