Friday, October 15, 2004

Zen and Life


Knobstone

I'm sitting here on a Friday night. It's 11.25pm here in Belfast. I've spent the last few hours looking at my computer screen. I first watched an episode of Phoenix Nights - a comedy series I like. I love that Northern English sense of humour. I then visited a few web sites. I always look in on littlegreenfootballs. I find it fascinating (and also scary) that there are people like the contributors to this site out there. They mentioned a campaign by the Guardian to affect the voting in an American constituency - towards Kerry. Of course te denizens of lfg are a little to the right of Attilla. However I signed up to the Guardian proposal and will soon send an e-mail to someone in the US to tell them why I think they should vote in a particular way. It will be interesting if I get a real Bush supporter!
Then I listened to a Dharma talk by Paul Haller of the San Francisco Zen Centre. All meditation (indeed life) is a continuous mistake he suggests. I think I agree. Think how many times we beat ourselves up when we try to acheive something we really believe in or think we believe in. I know I always think I'm cocking something up whenever I meditate.
The picture is of a standing stone near to the Ulster Way. It looks over towards Ailsa Craig. Its shape is somewhat phallic (or is it just me?). Ireland is littered with such stones. It's amazing they have stood in the same place for so long without disturbance. This one is fortunate in that its well off the beaten track. There are quite a few sites dedicated to the standing stone.
I'm finishing off a Heinekin beer can. I have to move and sell a piano tomorrow so farewell for now.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Phallic? Is it just you? Oh no!

http://www.beyond-the-pale.org.uk/phallic.htm#Ballygilbert (not necessarily a link for those of a delicate disposition)

& http://www.irishmegaliths.org.uk/antrim.htm

This stone has been high on my list of 'must see' sites for a very long time. It's great to see a picture from another angle - there aren't many images of this on the web for some reason. I feel even more enthused to see it now.

Ride On!!

FourWinds (www.megalithomania.com)

October 16, 2004 at 9:43 AM  
Blogger wolfie said...

Many thanks to Four Winds for the links. Plenty of interest on both.

October 17, 2004 at 6:53 PM  
Blogger Wofl said...

Nice that you have been to impressively-phallic Ballygilbert, and that you told me in my website's (www.irishmegaliths.org.uk) guestbook.

I have just started a weblog on my site, and I would be very pleased if you would post your blog or a shortened version (or something) on it: http://irishmegalithsd.blogspot.com/

Greetings from a place between the Mountains of Mourne and Strangford Lough in county Down.

More phallic pillars on www.beyond-the-pale.org.uk/
Have a look for good phallic gateposts in county Antrim.

October 18, 2004 at 10:02 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home