Friday, February 11, 2005

happiness and Distraction

Some say happiness is what humans seek in life. I'm convinced its not. I think its distraction we crave. Take me for example today. I did some good work and was feeling happy as Larry off early downtown to visit my favourite library after having a sausage, egg and bacon soda. What do I do? Check the share price of Bioprogress on my mobile. It had gone up another 3 points. A nervous kind of impulsion overtakes me. I feel I have to buy these shares because they WILL go up tomorrow. I take myself in hand saying 'Don't chase money...it only leads to ruin and a wasted life'. But my piece of mind is destroyed. If we were programmed to seek happiness all the time I don't think I would have put myself through this.

Spent a pleasureable afternoon reading the Irish Naturalist of 1915. The guys who wrote in these periodicals were true naturalists - people like Praeger and Scharff really knew their flora and fauna.
In 1915 the last native Golden Eagle was shot in Mayo. The previous year another had been shot at Ardara.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home