Saturday, April 09, 2005

The Artist's Date

Went on my first Artist's date a la Julia cameron last night. Went to an Ulster Orchestra concert at the Ulster Hall. Most of the audience were middle aged or elderly. It's unusual now for me to feel one of the younger people at any event! The Ulster Hall is looking pretty tatty now. A makeover is well overdue. Still the place has a lot of history going back to the big anti-home-rule rallies of the early 20th Century. For me - I saw my first concert here. Thin Lizzy in1977. I swear the place looks exactly the same.
I don't know what I think of classical music. I find myself drifting in between the melodic or exciting pieces. I watch the expressions on the musicians faces, notice that many of the women players bring their handbags out on stage with them or watch the audience. Maybe the purpose of the boring bits is to give me an excuse to sit motionless in the same place for long periods of time and simply think.
Following the concert I had an hour or so to kill so I headed up to Lavery's Bar. I used to come here quite a lot when I was younger. It's become more of a bloke's bar now with Gerry and his pals betting on American racing. The bar staff don't let you smoke at the bar now. I got told off. It's only a matter of time now before they introduce a smoking ban in all public places. I'll miss smoking cigars with a pint. In Lavery's Back Bar they were playing old punk classics. A completely blootered fella was dancing on his own to 'My Sharona'.
I went up to the new QFT. Took me a bit of time to find it but it is impressive. The old place was like a shebeen without the drink. The new place is all plush seats, coffee and wine bar chic. I was there to watch Sky Blue. I had thought it was going to be a film about pollution, environmentalism etc. Turns out it's an anime cartoon. Great animation but the story-line and characters are straight out of a Marvel comic. The audience were all young geeky student types.
So am I more creative... Don't know. In some ways I just felt like a sad loser wandering around on my own.
A cooky middle-aged woman approached me during the concert interval to find out if I was married and to tell me of her relationship with a cellist 24 years her junior with 4 kids. She didn't think it was going anywhere.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home